Our ward has a tradition that the Activity Day girls decorate the primary bulletin board for the last activity in December, in anticipation of the new Primary theme. Since the theme for 2016 is “I Know the Scriptures are True,” I thought this would be a good activity for them to learn about the women in the scriptures and also decorate the bulletin board for that theme.
Category: Learning and Living the Gospel
Duration: 1 meeting
- Coloring implements
- Stories of women from the scriptures. I used the Girls Who Choose God books – both the Bible and Book of Mormon versions are an amazing resource for any primary teacher, and they are written specifically for young children. My girls LOVED these stories and how they were written. If you can’t get a hold of those books, you could also use this Women in the Scriptures website. (Be sure to include the “little maid” from 2 Kings since it is the story of a young girl!)
- I wasn’t sure that the girls would be able to draw a book outline, so I went ahead and drew the book outlines for them.
- Pick out about 7-10 stories of women in the scriptures that you think will resonate with the girls.
- Read the stories of various women in the scriptures. Discuss what you admire about these women and what we can learn from them.
- Pass out the papers and have them draw the outline of a book, or already the outline drawn on. (Or just skip the whole book thing if you want!)
- Ask them to choose the story that meant the most to them and draw a picture depicting the story. Some of the girls also chose to write down part of the story.
- Post all of the pictures on a bulletin board or poster for the Primary room. Alternatively, you could ask to have the girls share their favorite story at sharing time during primary, or tell it to their families at Family Home Evening.