Thank you, Karen, for contributing this activity!
Categories: Articles of Faith, Preparing for Young Women
Duration: 1 session
- You need to think of six clues that lead to hiding places that fit with your room/area. They can be simple clues or you could combine this with a scripture treasure hunt and use scriptures to lead to certain places in the church building.
- You may also want to have a handout of the scriptures read in the Activity below. This way the girls can have the references in front of them, and even take them home for an FHE lesson!
One for each of the girls in your group:
- Good Music – CD with church Seminary Music recorded on it, downloaded from here.
- Good Books – CD with Aesop’s Fables downloaded from Project Gutenberg and the children scriptures from here.
- Art and Culture – Washable Markers for 50 cents from Wal-Mart (Back to School Sale Item) – for making art
- Good Friends – Snack bag – to share with a friend. You could also buy some cheap “friends” charms on Etsy (here, here, here, etc.)
- Good Food – A bag with nuts and raisins
- Good Language – Ruled notebook for 17 cents (Back to School Sale Item) – to express their emotions in a healthy way
- Hide the above supplies in the six places that your clues lead to.
- Start by having each girl share their feelings about their favorite books, music, food, etc.
- Read the scriptures from the “Scriptures Handout” (below) and discuss. After each scripture is read and discussed, give them a clue to go find the hidden treasure for that subject.
- If you finish early, have them use their new markers to decorate the inside cover of their notebook or write something down about the things they are going to “seek after” this week.
28 If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing, and with a prayer of praise and thanksgiving. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 136:28)
7 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom, seek learning even by study and also by faith; (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 109:7)
Arts and Culture
7 “I shall not attempt to paint to you the feelings of this heart, nor the majestic beauty and glory which surrounded us on this occasion; (Pearl of Great Price | JS-History Note:7)
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (New Testament | John 15:13)
Good Food and Drink
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground— (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 89:16)
20 And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.
(Book of Mormon | Alma 53:20)
16 He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 52:16)
- Here is a link to an alternate way of doing this activity.